Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Acts One

Journaling with Jesus, Acts 1, The Lord told the disciples to wait (vs4) and the first question out of their mouths was “when?” (vs 6). •When we went on trips with our young children we barely got to the corner before one or the other would ask “when are we going to be there?” and later down the road the second question, “Are we there yet?” •We humans don’t wait easily. The disciples didn’t and neither do we. When, Lord? The explanation, “It is not for you to know” seems more annoying than satisfying. But then comes the big, “BUT” .But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.We are forgiven for our impatience.Our motors are running but we won’t get anywhere without the fuel. . .and the Holy Spirit is the supplier. Anticipate. …”you are not at the end of it yet” What happened when the apostles didn’t wait? They appointed a replacement for Judas. At this point they would have entirely rejected Saul…who was appointed as an apostle by the Lord, Himself. They looked for excuses to make their own appointment .from Ps 69:25 and Ps 109:8 rather than waiting. I can say I prayed …but the disciples and others were “continually devoting themselves to prayers” and they erred. (The question is did they listen?) Do I take scripture out of context to prove my own purposes? Draw my theology from the obscure? . . . Follow the leader without resistance . . .Draw lots (or something like that) without including a “None of These”? It is obvious that the Lord forgave them for their folly. He just went on with his promise (the Holy Spirit) and His plan. What happens when I jump the gun (so to speak).. I run the race, and the Lord is waiting until I come to the end of my choices… Then we try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment